≡ Menu

Homeschool 2013-2014

2013-2014 Homeschool Year at Cliffs of Insanity Day Academy:

{Teddy, my bonus student, went back to public school last school year.  Meg graduated and is attending her first year of college. (Yes, I homeschooled her all the way, K-12)  Josie auditioned for a performing arts high school (charter school) and will be there for 11th grade and 12th grade (unless she decides to come home, but she loves it so far).  This year, we are down to two students; Demi-Sky is in 8th grade this year, and Amie is in 6th grade.}  Here is a list of our studies and books we are using;

photo goldensnitchcraft-homeisblog_zps789dc0f1.jpg

Amie 6th grade

Math Mammoth light blue series     Aleks Math (online)           Piano lessons        Parkour classes (p.e.)

Science:  Aha Science -online, and a few Science 2 U classes (monthly themed classes)    Literature: independent reading

Test Prep: Buckle-Down Language Arts 6

photo lacrossegoalie-homeisblog13_zps67c3f0c2.jpg

Demi-Sky 8th Grade

Math: Teaching Textbooks         Aleks Math (online)           Piano lessons      Lacrosse team (p.e.)

English: Intermediate Composition 8 with Biola Star (once a week class with a great syllabus):

*Teaching Writing: Structure and Style Seminar Workbook Institute for Excellence in Writing 978-0984099092
*Student Resource Notebook Pages IEW   *Word Web Vocabulary Workbook Vol. 1 Sage Education Enterprises, Inc.
The Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth Speare
Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes
True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, by Avi
The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom
Miracle Worker, by William Gibson
Across Five Aprils, by Irene Hunt

Latin:  online Latin Class with Biola Star (twice a week)

*The Latin Road to English Grammar vol. 1 & 2

Oak Meadow Science 5                   Buckle Down Science Standards Review 8                Independent reading

photo jump-homeisblog-copyright2013_zps90a56b22.jpg

Together-Amie & Demi:

Veritas Press self-paced History: Explorers to 1850 (online)

Shurley English 4

Bible:  Who is God? -Apologia Worldview series

private art lessons

to get to 2nd semester, hopefully:

photo twistedowl-homeisblog2013_zpsedc82109.jpg

Memoria Press First Form Latin set with dvds

Grammar of Poetry IEW

Fallacy Detective

The Ode less traveled; tackling the poet within -Stephen Fry

Philosophy for Kids

Logic of English: spelling (for Amie)

After-schooling with Josie -

Who is God apologia Worldview (independently and by discussion)

*Rosetta Stone French      *assigned literature -To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.

After-schooling with Meg-

Mere Christianity (reading together and discuss)

photo homeschoolprom-jump-homeisblog_zpsd5cbd1ab.jpg

Mom School:

Mere Christianity with Meg

going back to college, 3 unit Child Development class Spring semester

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Jenn; writer, photographer, homeschooled five children and lived to tell the tale.

{ 8 comments… add one }

• Hevel January 10, 2014, 1:18 AM

We did the trial for Aleks Math, and found it absolutely useless for us. My sister in the States swears by it. math has been the second greatest challenge in our homeschool. :(

And yay for continuing your education!

• Jenn January 15, 2014, 3:41 PM

Hevel,

when we first tried Aleks Math when the boys were in 3rd grade, I think, they hated it. We tried again this year and they enjoy it much more, I like that it keeps track of what they need to master and the State standards. We are also doing a traditional textbook Math in addition to this. Yeah, Math has been my hard spot in homeschool, which is logical, since I am not a Math person, but I wish I had approached it differently and had not handed down my feelings for it.

Thanks for cheering my on, Hevel! I don’t have a degree and I really want to be a good example to my kids on the importance of education.

• karen sue January 10, 2014, 11:40 AM

Your student at home number is way down! Do you still fill the same time or have a little more free space in your day? I think sometimes whatever you have, fills the time. Hoping all is going well with you. Finally getting over the flu/cold from Christmas. Hoping to find a solution for that junk to kick me so hard. Guess I gotta start doing more research on my health conditions and how to improve. I’ve always been a healthy person who shied away from medicine whenever possible, even avoiding vitamins. Perhaps that is going to bite my butt now!!
    Keep on smiling, girlie and thanks for the emails.

• Jenn January 15, 2014, 3:38 PM

Karen,

yeah, I have a lot more free time now, it’s very different only having two students. We are doing well, I hope you are over your cold. Yeah, sometimes we have to be more pro-active with our health, vitamins-eating healthy- doing things like walking and yoga are all helpful. Thinking of you, friend.

• Leah Raisingbushs January 18, 2014, 10:23 PM

Even with 1/2 the students, it sounds like you are staying very busy.

• Jenn January 19, 2014, 7:44 PM

yes, funny how that works, I felt busy with 5, but now with 2 I still feel busy (but it is definitely a less hectic pace!)

• Anna January 24, 2014, 2:17 PM

Hi Jen! I was wondering what you used for health/phys ed curriculum? Sorry i missed talking to you at Grandma’s birthday party! i wish I could have chatted with you and picked your brain about homeschool stuff . Hope you are doing well! If you can, can you email me your response?

• Jenn January 25, 2014, 10:33 AM