≡ Menu

7 Quick Takes -homeschool winter formal edition

photo b11296e3-3fd6-45f1-aaae-60d9dc8c48e9_zps0f603b55.jpg

~1~

This was Josie’s first formal dance; Homeschool Winter Formal.  She went with Meg and two friends.  I heart the girl-power!!  I also loved the photo opportunities :)  They had a blast, the dance was at the hotel at Knott’s Berry Farm.  The girls got ready at our house, and then I took them out for photos.

Josie is on the right in burgundy, and Meg is on the left in cowboy boots {of course}

~2~

I have admitted my adult-A.D.D.-ness, and will try some home remedies first, like green-tea.  I already self-medicate with diet coke and dark chocolate… I think it might be time to discuss this with my Dr. I spend so much of my time spinning my wheels aimlessly, it is very frustrating.

~3~

Sky thinks I should start drinking coffee, since coffee has more caffeine then green-tea.  (the A.D.D. thing) I’m just not willing to go over to the dark-side.  Sky is a true coffee-snob, he drinks french-pressed coffee.  Right now, his favorite blend is one he picked up on San Juan island.  I am about to experiment with bullet-proof coffee for him- basically it is good coffee blended with almost a stick of grass-fed butter.  I’ll report back….does sound kind of yummy, though, doesn’t it?

~4~

I have abandoned my much-loved MFW curriculum and switched over to Oak Meadow.  This is related to #2 above.  I wrote in an earlier post how much better following a simple spine-text works for me and realized I needed to live this truth and simplify things.  *Using spine-texts for homeschooling

We are now using Oak Meadow 5 History/English and Science texts with Demi & Amie, and Oak Meadow High school World History for Josie, and Oak Meadow High school U.S. Government for Meg.

~5~

So, I started Demi and Amie with the second half of week 5 in OM…not exactly where we were in MFW, but I didn’t want to skip reading about Jamestown, so this is where I decided to pick up at.  Sooo, I look through the text and see that it centers mostly on indentured servants and relates that to slavery, but I really want to delve more deeply into Jamestown, so I look through my MFW books still on the shelves, then rifle through the student worksheets I have for MFW, looking for something on Jamestown.  I don’t find anything, so I pick up Hakim’s Story of US vol. 2 -(I love this series) and find a chapter on Jamestown.  Perfect!  Not quite satisfied, I also search online and find a neat animated journey through Jamestown history on National Geographic for kids.

The next day, after all this searching, I realized I just failed the whole A.D.D. thing, didn’t I?

~6~

Meg just started a class for Economics at Biola Star.  I am really, really glad I don’t have to teach this one!

owl message photo owlmessage-homeiswhereblog_zpsfffc1fc9.jpg

special owl-delivery from Hogwarts

~7~

Amie started a Hogwarts for Muggles class.  It is a wonderful/creative class and so fun! Down-side? It is a one-hour drive from here.  She was jumping-up and down excited about it.  I figured, she is almost 11 years old and this is probably the last time a totally magical world can excite her and fuel her imagination, so I decided to go for it.  It’s a 12 week class!  She is having a blast, and doing some really creative things, so it is worth it.

*7 Quick Takes happens on Fridays at Conversion Diary blog, hop over and link up!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Jenn; writer, photographer, homeschooled five children and lived to tell the tale.

{ 11 comments… add one }

• wsw February 8, 2013, 4:37 AM

That opening photos is such a delight! You really must have had a blast with the photo-ops. How wonderful that there is a Homeschool Winter Formal organized in your area. And a Hogwarts for Muggles class? Awesome!

• Jenn February 9, 2013, 1:57 AM

Thank you, Wabi-Sabi! Yes, I had so much fun taking photos of the girls :) Yeah, we are lucky there is such a nice formal set up for our kids, it is for the Biola Star kids, but the parents totally set it up. Amie is loving the Hogwarts class. It is one of those things I’d love to set up here at home, but I know I’d never pull it off, so I am more than glad to driver her to a class.

have a great week!

• Liz February 8, 2013, 7:21 AM

I am so excited to have found your blog via 7 Quick Takes. i’m a new mom who is considering homeschooling our LO when the time comes (he’s 8 mos. now). Your blog is beautiful BTW/

• Jenn February 9, 2013, 1:59 AM

Liz,

I am so glad you stopped by! I love doing 7 Quick Takes, such a fun meme! Enjoy your little one, oh how I miss the whole baby stage!! Thank you for such kind words about my blog <3

• Sarah Thérèse February 8, 2013, 9:31 AM

Your blog is just darling! I’m a Catholic homeschool graduate and excited to one day educate my own children at home. Love the first photo – looks like everyone enjoyed themselves!

• Jenn February 9, 2013, 2:01 AM

Hi Sarah,

I love meeting homeschool graduates! It’s exciting to meet someone who has come out on the other side of the whole educating thing. So glad you stopped by, yes, the girls had a blast at the dance!

• karen sue February 8, 2013, 10:07 AM

I think I want to come and be one of your homeschool students! How was that first formal? I remember my daughter coming out in her dress and wow! When did that whole growing up thing happen? Can’t you just go put your sweatshirt and gym shorts back on and hang out with us???

I’m not a coffee drinker either and man, it’s hard to fire up some mornings. Not enough to try it. I don’t mind the smell, but the taste…no thanks. And the whole AADD – it’s life in the busy lane. I’ve circled around with a book, a magazine, a couple of knitting projects and a movie and maybe some sewing all at once. You’re not alone…so figure it out and let us know what works!!
    Have a great weekend. HS senior picked his college this week…4+ hours from his mom. It’ll be OK… :o)

• Jenn February 9, 2013, 2:05 AM

Karen Sue,

Josie had a great time at her first formal dance. I took her to the mall to have her make-up done and her dad was so surprised and a bit sad at how grown-up she looked all done-up. They grow up so very fast!

I love the smell of coffee and will drink it in a mocha latte once in a great while, but I am not a fan of how my mouth feels or how my breath smells after drinking coffee.

Oh you poor mom, college already! Well, keep telling yourself that it could be worse, at least it’s not across the country!! Hugs to you, it will be okay!!! <3

• Katrina February 8, 2013, 6:08 PM

I’m happy to have found your blog! I love learning more about homeschooling. And how fun that you had a winter formal. I always loved dressing up for school dances.

Hogwarts for Muggles class? You are such a fun mom!!

• Magdalen@FromHeartToTable February 8, 2013, 6:29 PM

How cool that you got to have a homeschool winter formal! Our homeschool group only ever does prom with super-strict rules about who can attend. They also randomly have it in January sometimes (probably so girls would want stockings and sweaters). This year it’s in April, thank goodness :D

• Kathleen Basi February 10, 2013, 8:32 AM

Hogwarts for Muggles? That sounds way too fun!

I love that it’s your daughter with the cowboy boots. So fun.