≡ Menu

Nile River Delta model, homeschool history

Wednesday we worked on our Nile River Delta model, a project found in the Story of the World vol. 1 activity book. This project is for chapter 2; Egyptians lived on the Nile River.

Photo #1 is of the supplies needed. Photo #2 shows the soil with the foil placed as the river. Photo #3 shows the blue rocks added to the river area. Photo #4 shows the kids adding the grass seeds to the soil.
We then had the fun of “flooding’ the Nile. We will continue to flood the Nile once a day, as an example of the yearly flooding the Egyptian farmers needed for their crops.

To round out this chapter, we also worked on a map of the delta, identifying the river, delta, lower and upper Egypt and unified kingdom areas. I also read and explored The Usborne Book of World History and the Usborne Internet-linked Encyclopedia sections on Egypt with Demi-Sky. I assigned the same reading to the older girls independently.

It was a fun, simple project. The roasting pans I found at Big lots very inexpensively. Not a sophisticated project for the older girls, but I know that Demi will always remember the Nile Delta and it’s importance to that kingdom. -The girls took off with the extra roasting pans and planted mini container gardens inspired by The Dk Gardening book by Jane Bull.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Jenn; writer, photographer, homeschooled five children and lived to tell the tale.

{ 7 comments… add one }

• Mrs. Darling February 24, 2007, 7:13 PM

That looks like a fun project. I’ve been looking for some more hands on projects for our school. This is a great idea!

• Carrie! :o) February 25, 2007, 12:10 AM

This was one that we skipped. After seeing yours, I wish we would have done it. Y’all did such a good job! Flooding it everyday is a great idea! :o)

• Jenny in Ca February 25, 2007, 12:48 AM

Mrs. Darling, it was alot of fun, and easy too. The DK gardening book has some neat project ideas, my girls have enjoyed trying some of those.
    Glad you stopped by!!

Carrie,

so glad you stopped by and commented! Are you still doing SOW? and where are you in it? what were some of your favorite projects?

have a great weekend!

• Cyndi February 26, 2007, 1:48 PM

Oh, I loved doing this in year one! We are in year 3 right now, and haven’t been doing as much of the projects as we used to (sadly), but I think I’ll make sure we do more. This post has inspired me! :)

• Jenny in Ca February 26, 2007, 5:04 PM

Hi Cyndi! I hope you post pictures of any projects you do for vol.3 – I would love to see them!

thanks for stopping by

• Carrie! :o) February 26, 2007, 7:30 PM

Yes, we’re in Volume 1 ~ Chapter 4. I tend to do a chapter, do activities, review, test, and then piddle with what we’ve learned so far. The only projects we’ve done so far are the Timeline and the History Of book. I really want to make the mummy with the chicken. I’m not sure I will since I’m pregnant and that’s alot of handling of raw meat. I’m funny about that stuff, LOL. :o)

Today I had my daughter start a book using the review cards. That way she’ll always have something that holds them together and she can easily flip through it. We also did a colorful picture of her name using hieroglyphics. :o)

• Kelly February 27, 2007, 4:40 PM

This is such a fun idea!